CHO Training Programme is a professional Programme designed to train Community Health Officers’ to become the most senior of the Community Health Practitioners in Nigeria. Thirty percent of the practitioner’s time is spent in the Community while seventy percent is spent in the clinic.
The Programme tries to guide, supervise, monitor and give good leadership to trainees. It tried to build a cohesive health team and sustain individual and team morale on the practitioners. It strives to make practitioners to work independently when necessary and make good judgment. The practitioners should be able to interact with various government agencies and the local community.
Finally, the practitioners strive to have a high sense of responsibility, accountability and dedication. A practitioner is trained to have administrative, medical, training and supervisory responsibilities for the Primary Health Care centre and the target population using relevant curriculum and teaching aides.
The School admits candidates into its programme of four semester – two years programme leading to the award of Higher Diploma in Community Health. Thirty- five (35) students are admitted per session of two streams giving a total of seventy (70) students.
Admission forms are sold every year around February for Entrance Examination in May. Successful candidates are normally admitted in September.
STRATEGIC PLAN/ PROJECTION
The school hopes to continue to achieve in the next five years qualified Community Health Officer through integrated staff training that will usher in trained and qualified Health Practitioners as staff in the School.
Other projected plans include:
- To have qualified and trained CHO graduands, with high sense of responsibility, accountability, dedication that would enable them work in any Primary Health Care Centre throughout the country and even beyond.
- To have a programme and a model School that can be reckoned with in the country of CHO practitioners.
- To have integrated office plan, equipment and demonstration apparatus/ models for effective teaching and learning.
- To have efficient secretariat with Computer and internet facilities as well as infrastructural facilities that will make UNTH CHO a pace setter.
- Other staff development will be vigorously pursued to facilitate the attainment of the corporate objective of the programme/ school.
The school intends to bequeath legacies that will make UNTH CHO
Training Programme one of the best in the country judging from the
Caliber of manpower chunked out annually. The standard of teaching, learning and morals shall continue to be above board.