MEDICAL LABORATORY SERVICES
We provide efficient medical laboratory services in Medical Microbiology using our various units which are equipped and manned by well trained Medical Laboratory Scientists.
There are up to 7 units in the department and these include:
- STB LABORATORY
- CHEST LABORATORY
All these units carry out microbiological diagnostic procedures which are as follows:
- Macroscopic examination of samples/ specimens
- Microscopic examination of specimens
- Cultural methods which include culturing specimens on culture media, isolation of the microorganisms, identification of these organisms using necessary biochemical tests and finally carrying out sensitivity tests on the organism when applicable.
- Serological and RT-PCR diagnosis whereby the identification and qualification of specific antigen or antibody found in the serum and other body fluids and tissues of an infected patient in the early and late stages of infection.
We also engage in:
- Fumigation of our medical facilities within the hospital community
- Teaching and training of medical laboratory science interns and students.
- Microbiological analysis of water