HISTORY OF DEPARTMENT
The Department of Ophthalmology, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Ituku-Ozalla came into being in 1977. It was initially a sub- department within the Department of Surgery. From inception till date, the department has evolved from a department with General Ophthalmology as her main focus to one with various sub-specialty units at different levels of operation. These sub-specialty units include Pediatrics Ophthalmology & Strabismus, Glaucoma, Public Eye Health, Anterior Segment and Cornea, Vitreo-Retina, Neuro-Ophthalmology, Oculo-plasty and Low Vision rehabilitation.
The ultimate goal of the department is to grow into a full-fledged Institute of Ophthalmology.
Our mission is to make the Department of Ophthalmology of the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital (UNTH), Ituku-Ozalla the hub of ophthalmic research, training and clinical services in the nation and indeed the West African sub-region.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To train medical students in Basic Ophthalmology as part of their undergraduate medical education to enable them function as integrated primary eye care workers on graduation.
- To train postgraduate medical doctors to become ophthalmologists through a rigorous Residency Training Programme.
- To advance the practice of ophthalmology through research.
- To provide quality eye care to patients through the various clinical services.
- To provide ophthalmic continuing medical education to doctors and other professionals allied to medicine.
- To offer community service through eye outreaches.
- To engage in public enlightenment on eye care and advocacy towards promotion of good ocular health.
CONTRIBUTIONS IN ADMINISTRATION
Members of the Department have served in various administrative capacities in the university and beyond:
- Prof Kodilinye – former Vice-Chancellor UNN
- Prof Rich Umeh – former Dean, Faculty of Medical Sciences & former Deputy Vice-Chancellor University of Nigeria Enugu Campus, former Chairman, Faculty of Ophthalmology, National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria.
- Prof Ernest Onwasigwe – former Dean, Faculty of Medical Sciences, former Deputy Provost, College of Medicine and immediate past Provost, College of Medicine
- Prof Felix Ezepue – former Dean, Faculty of Medical Sciences.
- Prof Chimdi Chuka-Okosa – immediate past Chairman, Faculty of Ophthalmology, West African College of Surgeons.
- Dr Angela Uwakwem – former Medical Director Federal Medical Centre Owerri, former Commissioner for Health, Imo State.
- Dr Abali Chuku – former Medical Director, Federal Medical Centre Umuahia.
The department is actively involved in various research initiatives some of which are grant – supported namely:
- Refractive error study in children in Southeast Nigeria – Tertiary Education Trust Fund research grant sponsored.
- H3 Africa. Eyes of Africa – Genetics of glaucoma in sub-Saharan Africa. A multicentre study involving University of Ibadan, The Gambia and University of Nigeria.
The department has collaborations with:
- Commonwealth Eye Health Consortium which sponsored the subspecialty training of 5 consultants.
- Aravind Eye Hospital India and LV Prasad Eye Institute India which were host institutions for the subspecialty training.
LIST OF PREVIOUS HEADS OF DEPARTMENT
The pioneer head of the department was Prof. Kodilinye, who also was the Vice Chancellor of the University.
The subsequent heads of department at various points in time were Dr Talwar, Dr. J.O Ojukwu, Dr. Gupta, Dr. P. B. Nworah, Prof. N.O. Magulike, Prof. R.E. Umeh, Prof. E.N. Onwasigwe, Prof. U.F. Ezepue, DR. O.I. Okoye, Prof. CM Chuka-Okosa, Dr F.C. Maduka-Okafor and Prof I.R. Ezegwui. Apart from being accredited by the National Universities Commission, the department also has training accreditation from the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria and the West African College of Surgeons.
LIST OF PRESENT HONORARY/HOSPITAL CONSULTANTS
Prof Ifeoma Ezegwui, Prof Rich Umeh, Prof Felix Ezepue, Prof Ernest Onwasigwe,Dr Lucy Ubaka, Prof Chimdi Chuka-Okosa, Prof Boniface Eze, Prof Onochie Okoye, Dr Chinedu Maduka-Okafor, Dr Ada Aghaji, Dr Obiekwe Okoye, Dr Stella Onwubiko, Dr Chijioke Onyekonwu, Dr Nkechi Uche, Dr Ngozi Oguego, Dr Nnenma Udeh, Dr Nkiru Nwachukwu and Dr Cyril Mamah.
PROF IFEOMA EZEGWUI, HEAD OF DEPARTMENT