BRIEF HISTORY OF PERIOPERATIVE NURSING SCHOOL
The Post Basic Perioperative Nursing School is an arm of the Educational unit of the hospital. This training programme commenced in this hospital on the 15th of March, 1988 with an initial intake of 26 students who graduated in March 1989. The programme commenced during the tenure of the retired, Mrs. M. Ejikeme and Dr. O.O. Mbonu as the Chairman Medical Advisory Committee while the coordinator of the school changed its name from “Theatre Nursing” to “School of Perioperative Nursing” in February, 1991.
The school has ever been run with provisional approval from the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
STAFF SITUATION: The academic staff of the school is made up of 7 Nurse Educators viz
- 3 (three) Assistant Director Nursing Education
- 2 (two) Asst. Chief Nurse Educators
- 2 (two) Nurse Educators
The members of staff in addition to lecturing the students in the hospital clinical area and out of station posting, which are the National Orthopedic Hospital Enugu, Park Lane Hospital and district hospital Obiagu under SHMB.
- Snr. Con. Secretary – 1
- Typist – 1
- Higher Data Processor – 1
- Snr. Clerical Officers – 3
- Clerical Officers – 1
- Snr. Health Attendant – 4
- Head Porter – 1
By 2011, we will provide the best quality service in West Africa sub region while continuing to provide diagnostic and curative health services in a computerized environment with the provision of quality training, research and human development.
We provide quality training research and specialist health care for our clients in a friendly environment with excellence in Perioperative services.
- Man is an evolving being. What he becomes collectively or individually is the result of his total living experiences.
- Nursing is a science which derives a large portion of its knowledge based on the natural and social sciences and from the humanities. It integrates and applies these principles through the nursing process which forms the focal point of nursing activities.
- Learning,being a life long process, the Perioperative nurse will continually develop his/her knowledge through continuing educations.
- Objective of this institution is to train students for a more qualitative care in the pre, intra and post operative period.
- To utilize the nursing process in providing efficient and effective Perioperative nursing care.
- Assist the patient to cope with biological and environmental changes experience during the Perioperative phases.
- Implement Perioperative management in collaboration with other members of health team.
- Supervise and instruct Perioperative nurses and other health personnel during the perioperative clinical experience.
- Conduct and participate in research projects directed towards improvement of patient care and growth of the procession.
- Manage the Unit through effective budgeting and auditing.
- Participate in architectural design of operating theatre department to promote efficient and quality patient care.
- The Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria has granted the school provisional Accreditation for two (2) years and they are expected for accreditation visit in 2012.
- The number of student in-take has increase from thirty (30) to forty (40) students and they have commenced training from October, 2010.
- Students’ performances for the past years are creditably commended.
- The students are now being housed in the hostel within the premises.
- Water supply is much more regular than before.
- There is an Auditorium furnished for all the Post Basic Nursing Schools.
- There is a Central Library for the schools equally.
- Staff Offices are now well furnished.